Dandruff is a skin state that causes the scalp to flake. Although it is not severe, it cannot be delightful for those who suffer from it. Learn about this vinegar remedy to improve this condition.
The use of vinegar for dandruff is out of one of the most popular applications in kitchens around the world as its use as a salad dressing. However, we must know that specific property attribute to it that could be beneficial for the hair.
This sour-tasting liquid, which occurs as a result of the acetic fermentation of alcohol, has already been prescribed throughout history to treat different conditions and symptoms. On this occasion, we will tell you more about its benefits and how it can help eliminate dandruff. Find out!
Also Read: 5 Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar According to Science
Apple Cider Vinegar, an Effective Remedy for Dandruff?
Have you ever noticed small white dots on your dark clothes? Dandruff, also known as pityriasis, is a common problem that affects the scalp and causes it to flake. Although it is not a severe condition, it can be embarrassing and painful to treat.
According to a publication from the Mayo Clinic, signs and symptoms can intensify due to stress. They are usually more common in the dry and cold seasons. As for the causes, the following mentioned:
- Irritated, oily, or dry skin.
- You are not washing your hair enough.
- The presence of a fungus known as Malassezia. It feeds on the oils present on the scalp of most adults.
- Contact dermatitis: appears from the use of certain hair care products.
- Other skin conditions, such as eczema and psoriasis.
This condition would control with a home remedy based on apple cider vinegar that we show you below. Anecdotal data suggest that its use could reduce flaking and alleviate the symptoms associated with this problem.
While there is no scientific evidence to support its effects in treating dandruff, an article in Natural Product Research indicates that this product has antimicrobial potential, thus limiting the growth of certain bacteria and fungi.
How to Use this Home Remedy with Vinegar?
Although, as we mentioned, there are no studies that prove the effectiveness of vinegar for the control of dandruff, you can check the results for yourself, since its use is considered safe. To enjoy the benefits of this home remedy, you must take the following steps into account:
- To start, dilute a half cup of apple cider vinegar in a bowl and a half of warm water.
- Shampoo hair and rinse as usual.
- Apply the vinegar to the entire scalp with the help of a cotton ball and massage gently for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Let it dry naturally.
- If you consider it necessary, use conditioner.
- You can repeat this process every day until you notice an improvement in symptoms.
Other Alternative Remedies for Dandruff
The itching and flaking characteristic of dandruff can control in most cases. There are several anti-dandruff shampoo alternatives on the market that help reduce oil and skin cell build-up. You may have to try more than one option to find the right one for you.
But besides, other measures could reduce the symptoms of this condition. So if you suffer from this skin problem, you can also try the following:
- Manage stress: Where possible, it is essential to learn how to manage negative emotions, as they can affect overall health. Although it sounds strange, it could also make the symptoms of dandruff worse.
- Eat a balanced diet: including enough zinc, B vitamins, and certain types of fats in your diet can help prevent dandruff.
- Shampooing Your Hair Frequently: If you suffer from an oily scalp, shampooing your hair every day helps loosen the scales. To achieve this, gently massage the area and rinse carefully.
- Limit hair care products: This is because styling products can build up on your hair and scalp, making it oilier.
On the other hand, the use of tea tree oil also has positive effects on controlling this problem. This is thanks to its antiseptic, antibiotic, and antifungal properties. However, this alternative irritates people with sensitive skin.
Vinegar for Dandruff is not Magic
Lastly, it is worth mentioning that the results of using apple cider vinegar or any other dandruff remedy should monitor. Some products can make symptoms worse. In this case, it is best to discontinue them and consult your doctor.
Dandruff often requires an approach from different fronts of action. That is why it should be clear that vinegar is not the magic solution to the problem, but one more option.