Even if you’re taking a quick trip across the town, there’s always the risk of being involved in a car accident. Depending on the accident’s severity, these collisions can cause significant injuries or even prove fatal. In fact, according to the CDC, roughly 90 lives are lost each day in the United States to car crashes. This is why we all need to do our part to drive responsibly to keep our roads safer for everyone.
You may wonder where to turn next if you are injured in an auto accident. While you may receive care at the site of the accident, visiting a Denver chiropractor after your accident can help you recover even faster from your injuries. Here, we’re taking a closer look at some of the most common car accident injuries and learning more about how chiropractic care may be the ideal healthcare solution for those involved in a car accident. Whether suffering from whiplash, chronic pain, joint problems, or soft tissue damage, a chiropractor can help.
Table of Contents
5 Common Car Accident Injuries
No matter the severity of the crash, any auto collision can result in significant injuries. In the immediate aftermath of a crash, you may not even realize the true extent of your injuries. This may occur because, right after the accident, your body is coursing with a rush of adrenaline that can mask pain or other symptoms of an injury. This is why receiving medical attention after crashes is important—even if you feel fine.
While each car accident is unique, there are many common injuries caused by these collisions. By better understanding the common types of car accident injuries, it becomes easier to know what type of medical care and assistance to receive. Often, car accident victims visit chiropractors and physical therapists to help them recover.
5 most common car accident injuries include:
- Whiplash occurs when a collision’s sudden impact forces the head and neck to jerk forward suddenly. Whiplash can also tear the fine muscles in the neck or upper back and cause dislocation in some cases. Additionally, whiplash can lead to more serious complications, such as chronic pain, nerve damage, or post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Back pain: chronic pain, especially in the lower back, is common after the trauma caused by a car accident. Left untreated, back pain tends only to worsen and can make even simple activities challenging.
- Spinal cord injuries: whether caused by misalignment or a herniated disc, spinal cord injuries are some of the most common car accident injuries.Some common types of these injuries include compression fractures, dislocations, and penetrating injuries. Some people with spinal cord injuries may experience complete paralysis, while others may have only partial paralysis.
- Neck pain or headaches: Following a car accident’s dramatic impact, the jerking motion can cause significant damage to your neck and the entire spinal column. This may also lead to headaches or migraines following an accident.
- Muscle pain and soreness: muscle strains and sprains following an accident are often painful and may limit overall mobility. Chiropractic care, in some cases used with professional massage therapy, can effectively reduce muscle tension and soreness.
How Does Chiropractic Care Help?
Following an auto accident, your doctor may recommend various treatment options to help you recover from your injuries and return to the active lifestyle you love. One effective treatment option, often recommended in tandem with other approaches to care, is visiting a chiropractor.
Unlike your primary care provider, a chiropractor specializes in diagnosing and treating disorders of the musculoskeletal system, especially the spine, making them more effective for car accident injuries. For example, working with a whiplash doctor specializing in chiropractic care would be beneficial if you sustained severe whiplash in a car accident. They’ll use various techniques to realign your spine, promote blood flow to the injured area, relieve pain, and improve function.
Overall, Chiropractic care provides a safe, holistic, and effective method for treating various health problems affecting the musculoskeletal system.
How does chiropractic care help with car accident injuries? Just take a look:
- Effective pain relief that is both safe and holistic. Chiropractic adjustments can treat pain in the back, neck, shoulders, or any other joint area in the musculoskeletal system. Visiting a chiropractor can also help you avoid relying on prescription medication.
- Improved mobility to restore your entire range of motion in your shoulders, arms, knees, and legs.
- Reduce inflammation that occurs naturally as your body heals. However, too much inflammation can damage your tissue and cause pain and discomfort. Chiropractic adjustments help your body release natural chemicals to aid in the reduction of inflammation.
Calling a Personal Injury Attorney After Your Car Accident
After you’ve received medical care for your injuries, there’s one more important call to make. Following an auto accident of any scale, it’s important to call on an experienced Denver accident attorney to ensure your rights are protected. These legal experts can represent your interests and help you understand your rights even if you believe you were partially at fault.
They’ll assess your case to determine whether or not you may have a potential personal injury claim on your hands. If you do, they’ll handle all the details of your case and help you receive fair and full financial compensation for your injuries. It’s important to note that insurance companies don’t always pay out fair settlements to their clients. After all, these companies are still trying to make a profit at the end of the day. But when you hire a car accident attorney to represent you, they’ll do everything they can to ensure you receive the justice you deserve.
However, with several professionals available today, finding the right attorney can be tricky. As such, some essential considerations should be kept in mind to ensure you hire the perfect one for your case. For instance, consider getting recommendations from family and friends or conduct an online search to obtain a list of prospective legal professionals.
Once you have a few names of lawyers, interview them to see who you feel most comfortable with. Ask about their experience, their fees, and their success rate in cases similar to yours. Get everything in writing, including the lawyer’s fees and terms of representation.
By following these tips, you can pick the right personal injury attorney for your car accident case.
Conclusion – 5 Common Car Accident Injuries
Regrettably, car accidents occur every day in the United States. While a fender bender may not seem too impactful, many car accidents can lead to significant injuries. And if these injuries are left untreated, they often only worsen and may lead to additional complications. But it would be best if you never let an auto accident injury derail the quality of your life.
If you’re involved in a car accident, no matter the severity, speak with your primary care physician about the possibility of chiropractic care. Chiropractors are trained to treat various injuries and ailments affecting the musculoskeletal system. Chiropractic care can effectively treat many common car accident injuries, such as whiplash, chronic pain, limited mobility, herniated discs, and more. Visiting a chiropractor after a car accident may improve your chances of a faster and longer-lasting recovery.