Despite its name, Himalayan salt isn’t harvested from the Himalayas butin a huge mine in Pakistan. Nevertheless, it has gained popularity due to the positive benefits it supposedly brings. And unlike ordinary salt, Himalayan salt isn’t processed in any way, making it the purest salt in the world.
Households today that believe in the advantageous properties of Himalayan salt use itfor various purposes. Some reach for it for when cooking, and others turn to it for healing. It can even be utilized to makelampsand cookware.
If you’re contemplating using Himalayan salt at home, there are many ways for you to do so. Here are just four of them:
Table of Contents
1. Cook With It
Cooking with Himalayan salt is just like cooking with any other salt, but it’s said to be a healthier alternative. When you shop for Himalayan salt, it can beas fine as iodized salt, or it might come in a coarse variety that’s stored ina grinder. It’s up to you to choose which one you’ll gofor.
Something you have to keep in mind, however, is that Himalayan salt has less sodium chloride than regular salt. While this may be healthier, it also means that your dish may be less salty than usual. Be sure to do a taste test when cooking, especially if this is your first time switching to Himalayan salt.
2. Use It As A Cooking Surface
Himalayan salt can be used as a cooking surface when it’s in block form. While this is a relatively new concept, it’s also one that’s becoming more common because of the flavor and unexpected texture it gives to meals. Also, it may come with added nutrients as Himalayan salt blocks contain a higher amount of minerals like sulfur, potassium, and magnesium, to name a few.
Because Himalayan salt blocks conduct heat easily, they’re great for baking and grilling. You can use one for meat, pizza, poultry, vegetables, and seafood. While simple to use, there are certain thingsyou have to rememberto ensure that you’re using Himalayan salt blocks correctly:
- Your salt block has to be completely dry before being used.Otherwise, the moisture may cause the block to crack while you’re cooking on it.
- Heat it slowly as overheating it and doing so too quickly may also lead to cracks.
- Preheat your Himalayan salt block on a grill or stove beforehand if the recipe calls for it to be placed inside an oven.
- Always use a carrying rack as salt blocks can reach very high temperatures for several hours and regular oven mitts may not suffice.
- Don’t submerge your Himalayan salt block in water since water dissolves salt.
3. Serve Food On It
If you love to host parties and you want to up your serving game and style, turning Himalayan salt blocks into serving platters is another great way to use Himalayan salt at home. Especially for cold dishes like sorbet, desserts, sushi, cheese,and sashimi, Himalayan salt blocks make for amazing serveware. Just be sure to place the block in the fridge or the freezer prior to using it to give it time to chill.
When you serve dry dishes on salt blocks, you can create a beautiful presentation that’ll surely wow your guests. Meanwhile, moist food can absorb some of the salt as it’s sitting on the block, adding flavor to the dish.
4. Have A Himalayan Salt Soak
It’s common practice for many to have a Himalayan salt soak or use its bath bombs. Mineral baths with Himalayan salt may provide the following benefits to the body:
- It will allow you to relax and feel calm.Even a 10-minute soak mighthelp reduce fatigue and stress.
- It may ease skin conditions like acne, psoriasis, and eczema,and you can incorporate it into your skincare routinebecause of the antimicrobial properties it has.
- It’s saidto alleviatediscomfort,which can be ideal for optimising your exercise routine by helping you manage post-workout tension.
- It may improve sleep quality if you use it for a warm, soothing bath before bed.
As you can see, there are many ways you can make themost of Himalayan salt at home. It’s not just for cooking but also for your wellness if that’s something you’re looking to improve. While it may cost a bit more than regular salt, its benefits make the expense worth it. If you’re still on the fence about it, it doesn’t hurt to give it a try. However, see to it that you’ll purchase the salt from legitimate sources if you’re aiming to use it for the purposes discussed above. Over time, Himalayan salt may just become a staple in your household that you can’t do without.